SOUTHWEST, Stock Photographs

Image 38 of 45
< Prev Next >

San Xavier Mission

San Xavier del Bac Mission9 miles south of Tucson, Az was founded in 1692 by Jesuit missionary Eusebio Francisco Kino, it is a Catholic Mission led by the Franciscan Order.  It is a National Historic Landmark.  Construction of the current church began in 1783 and was completed om 1791. It is located in the Tohono O'odham Nation, formerly known as the Papago, and still serving the community and ministering to the religkous needs of its parishioners.  It is affectionately known as "The White Dove of the Desert".  Over 200,000 visitors come to San Xavier each year.
twitterlinkedinfacebook
http://www.google.com/accounts/VE?service=analytics&c=CKL-5v2SmZz2zAEQgsuT9qOhnNFH&hl=en